The following Calls for Proposals are now closed:
- Proposals are now being accepted until February 1, 2016 for the Pilot Program for Joint Research Proposals Using EMSL and ARM Capabilities.
- EMSL’s call for FY2017 proposals opens January 5 and offers two opportunities for submitting research projects. Applicants may apply to either or both calls, but should be aware of the differences in schedules and due dates. Award decisions for both calls will be made by July 31, and approved proposals will be granted access to EMSL resources beginning October 1.
Annual Calls for Proposals
Annual Calls are usually issued in the winter (mid-December or January) and may include options to focus on Science Theme topics, team on larger research campaigns, or use multiple facilities (e.g., the JGI-EMSL opportunity as part of the Facilities Integrating Collaborations for User Science, or FICUS program.) Proposals are encouraged that couple experiments with theory, modeling or simulation, and access is granted beginning October 1 following award decisions. Details of the Annual Call and any special requirements for the different options offered are provided in the Call announcement. Note that EMSL cannot accommodate late submissions for new user proposals or extension requests.
- Science Theme topics. Each year, the Call identifies topics of interest within each of EMSL’s Science Themes. The topics announced in each Call are developed to focus user activities to accelerate results in emerging science areas of interest to EMSL, BER, and DOE. Proposals are valid for two years and a select number of authors may be invited to submit project plans to extend the work for a third year.
- Teaming on research campaigns. The Annual Call may include opportunities to partner with EMSL staff and other research teams on topics that require multiple methods and approaches for combined experimental and computational research and advanced data integration. Research campaigns are typically multi-institutional and larger in scope. Campaigns require a Letter of Intent, and selected authors are invited to work with EMSL staff to develop more fully a project plan to be submitted as a full proposal. Research campaigns can be valid for multiple years and will be based on the selected project design.
- Requests to use multiple facilities. The Annual Call may include opportunities to request the use of multiple user facilities with one proposal. Joint facility applications are part of the "Facilities Integrating Collaborations for User Science" or FICUS program that was established three years ago between user facilities stewarded by the Department of Energy Office of Biological and Environmental Research. Applications typically follow special proposal requirements and review processes, and details are provided with the Call. For example, the call for collaborative science between EMSL and DOE’s Joint Genome Institute (JGI) provides a unique opportunity for researchers to combine the power of genomics and molecular characterization in one research project. JGI-EMSL proposals require an initial Letter of Intent, and accepted projects are valid for approximately 18 months.
Special Calls for Proposals
On occasion, researchers may have opportunities to request access through special science calls that are announced outside of the normal call cycle. These calls will typically follow unique proposal submission, review and access schedules, and researchers should pay special attention to the details announced in these calls.
- A pilot program between EMSL and the Atmospheric Radiation Measurement (ARM) Climate Research Facility is launching the first-ever joint call to facilitate the integration of their capabilities. Proposals are now being accepted until February 1, 2016.