Wiley Visiting Scientists
The Wiley Visiting Scientist Program aims to recognize, reward and encourage distinguished scientists to come to EMSL for extended periods of time and make significant contributions to the EMSL user program by providing input to and recommendations on the path forward for EMSL. These visits could be short term (up to 3 months) or long term (up to one year).
Benefits: The Wiley Visiting Scientist program provides a mechanism to formally recognize partnerships between EMSL and investigators making significant contributions to support the EMSL mission. In recognition of their efforts, visiting scientists will receive the formal title of Wiley Visiting Scientist, will be looked to for advice concerning the future of the EMSL facility, and can request special time allocations on high demand instrumentation that is normally reserved for EMSL staff. In addition, travel funding and per diem expenses are available.
Expectations: Wiley Visiting Scientists are expected to actively contribute to the success of EMSL as a user facility including support of EMSL and the user program beyond their own specific research projects. Examples include participation on partner proposals for development of new capabilities, mentoring EMSL staff, and assisting in long-term facility planning. Visiting scientists are also expected to interact with the EMSL scientific leadership team and attend and provide input, whenever possible, at meetings with the team.
Qualifications: The Wiley Visiting Scientist program is open to scientists worldwide who are working in the area of environmental molecular sciences and who are at least 5 years post doctorate. In addition to conducting their own research, applicants must be willing to participate in activities to enhance the EMSL user program.
- Application. Applicants should submit to the contact below a curriculum vitae and a short description of the proposed visit objectives, which should address their research efforts, the additional contributions being proposed to the user program and the desired funding request. Submittal of the application will normally be preceded by informal discussions with the EMSL Chief Science Officer or Scientific Leads.
- Stipend. Each awardee will receive reimbursement for the cost of round-trip transportation and an additional allowance for local expenses and per diem. Additional support may be provided on a case by case basis. No additional support will be provided for the travel expenses of persons accompanying the Visiting Scientist.
- Deadlines. Applications will be considered quarterly, with the following deadlines: January 31, April 30, July 31, and October 31 of each year. An applicant may propose a visit up to 1 year in advance.
- Evaluation Criteria. Each applicant will be evaluated using criteria that include the quality of the applicant's research program, relevance of activity to EMSL's strategic needs, and the availability of funds.
- Application. Applicants should submit to the contact below a research plan describing what he/she hopes to accomplish during the visit, what special resources or facilities would be needed, and the value that the visit would provide to EMSL. In addition, the application must include three letters of reference, the applicant's curriculum vitae, and a letter of support from one of EMSL's Scientific Leads that confirms that the resources and facilities are available and describes the benefit of the visit to EMSL's research.
- Stipend. Each awardee will receive a stipend that includes an allowance for living expenses and additional allowance for local expenses at per diem. In addition, the Visiting Scientist will receive reimbursement for the cost of one round-trip airfare based on the cost of economy airfare to and from the visitor's home institution. Additional travel between EMSL and the Visiting Scientist's institution will be considered for stays at EMSL over 3 consecutive months. Additional support may be provided on a case by case basis. No additional support will be provided for the travel expenses of persons accompanying the Visiting Scientist.
- Deadline. Applications will be considered quarterly, with the following deadlines: January 31, April 30, July 31, and October 31 of each year. An applicant may propose a visit up to 1 year in advance.
- Evaluation Criteria. Each applicant will be evaluated using criteria that include the quality of the applicant's research program, the relevance of that research program to the EMSL user program and the availability of funds.