Arunima Bhattacharjee is an Earth scientist with the Environmental and Molecular Science Laboratory. She has extensive experience in microfabrication, microbial biofilm engineering and microbe-mineral interactions. Bhattacharjee led the development of several TerraForms platforms for spatially visualizing biogeochemical processes in reduced complexity environments.
- Mineral-microbe interactions
- Microbial biofilms
- Microbial extracellular polymeric substance characterization
- PhD in Materials Science and Engineering, University of California, Irvine
- MS in Nanoscience, Swami Ramanand Teerth Marathwada University
- BT in Bioengineering, Swami Ramanand Teerth Marathwada University
Awards and Recognition
- Schlumberger Faculty for Future Award, Schlumberger Foundation (2015 – 2017)
- American Society for Microbiology Science Teaching Fellow, American Society for Microbiology (2016)
- Travel Award, National Science Foundation, American Society for Microbiology (2014)
Bhattacharjee, A., A. M. Thompson, K. C. Schwarz, M. C. Burnet, Y. M. Kim, J. R. Nunez, S. J. Fansler, Y. Farris, C. J. Brislawn, T. O. Metz, R. S. McClure, R. S. Renslow, L. Shor, J. K. Jansson, K. S. Hofmockel, and C. R. Anderton. 2020. “Soil Microbial EPS Resiliency Is Influenced by Carbon Source Accessibility.” Soil Biology and Biochemistry 151. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soilbio.2020.108037.
Bhattacharjee, A., D. Velickovic, T. W. Wietsma, S. L. Bell, J. K. Jansson, K. S. Hofmockel, and C. R. Anderton. 2020. “Visualizing Microbial Community Dynamics Via a Controllable Soil Environment.” mSystems 5 (1). https://doi.org/10.1128/mSystems.00645-19.
Veličković, D., G. Zhang, D. Bezbradica, A. Bhattacharjee, L. Paša-Tolić, K. Sharma, T. Alexandrov, C. R. Anderton, and K. Consortium. 2020. “Response Surface Methodology as a New Approach for Finding Optimal MALDI Matrix Spraying Parameters for Mass Spectrometry Imaging.” Journal of the American Society for Mass Spectrometry 31 (3): 508-516. https://doi.org/10.1021/jasms.9b00074.
D. Naylor, N. Sadler, A. Bhattacharjee, E. B. Graham, C. R. Anderton, R. McClure, M. Lipton, K. S. Hofmockel, and J. K. Jansson, Soil Microbiomes Under Climate Change and Implications for Carbon Cycling, Annual Reviews of the Environment and Resources, 45 (2020).