Nurun Nahar Lata
Post Doctorate RA
Dr. Nurun Nahar Lata is a post-doctoral research associate with the Terrestrial-Atmospheric Processes Integrated Research Platform. Her research focus includes physicochemical properties of atmospheric aerosols, processing of atmospheric aerosol particles and heterogeneous ice nucleation. She utilizes both online studies such as field measurement and offline analysis such as microscopy, spectroscopy and in-situ measurements to understand complex atmospheric processing of aerosol and cloud formation. Her research aims to better understand the effect of physicochemical properties on cloud and ice formation.
- Aerosol Chemistry and Physics
- Aerosol-cloud interaction
- Heterogeneous ice nucleation
- PhD in Atmospheric Sciences, Michigan Technological University, 2021
- MS in Applied Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, University of Dhaka, 2015
- BS in Applied Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, University of Dhaka, 2013
Awards and Recognition
- Received Dean’s Award for Outstanding Scholarship, Michigan Technological University (2021)
- Received Henes Center Fellowship from Department of Physics at Michigan Technological University (2021)
- Received Miles Fellowship from Department of Physics at Michigan Technological University (2021)
- Received best poster award from Department of Physics at Michigan Technological University (2018)
- Received ‘National Science and Technology Fellowship’ from Ministry of Science and Technology, Bangladesh (2014)
Affiliations and Professional Service
- American Geophysical Union (2020-2022)
- European Geoscience Union (2019-2022)
- Cheng, Z., Morgenstern, M., Zhang, B., Fraund, M., Lata, N.N., Brimberry, R., Marcus, M.A., Mazzoleni, L., Fialho, P., Henning, S. and Wehner, B., Particles’ phase state variability in the North Atlantic free troposphere during summertime determined by different atmospheric transport patterns and sources.
- Knopf, D.A., Barry, K.R., Brubaker, T.A., Jahl, L.G., Jankowski, K.L., Li, J., Lu, Y., Monroe, L.W., Moore, K.A., Rivera-Adorno, F.A.,Sauceda, K.A., J. M. Tomlin, H. S. K. Vepuri, P. Wang, Lata, N.N., E. J. T. Levin, J. M. Creamean, T. C. J. Hill, S. China, P. A. Alpert, R. C. Moffet, N. Hiranuma, R. C. Sullivan, A. M. Fridlind, M. West, N. Riemer, A. Laskin, P. J. DeMott; X. Liu. ,2021. Aerosol–ice formation closure: a southern great plains field campaign. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, pp.1-50.
- Lata, N.N., Zhang, B., Schum, S., Mazzoleni, L., Brimberry, R., Marcus, M.A., Cantrell, W.H., Fialho, P., Mazzoleni, C. and China, S., 2021. Aerosol Composition, Mixing State, and Phase State of Free Tropospheric Particles and Their Role in Ice Cloud Formation. ACS Earth and Space Chemistry, 5(12), pp.3499-3510.
- Lata, N.N., Zhou, J., Hamilton, P., Larsen, M., Sarupria, S. and Cantrell, W., 2020. Multivalent surface cations enhance heterogeneous freezing of water on muscovite mica. The Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters, 11(20), pp.8682-8689.